Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Sister Challenge Part 2

My twelve blocks are finished!  They measure 14" by 15". It turned out that I didn't need to add any other fabrics.  I did have to use some of the lights as darks, but since my choices were pretty random, it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.  The block is a Court House Steps variation.  It is rectangular instead of square.  I have to admit that I initially thought some of the design combinations in the fabric clashed.  Here are the blocks laid out on my bed.


I used a bright red fabric for the center of each block for consistency.  I was organizing (I use that term loosely) my stash and found 2 yards of a bright red batik for the sashing.  Here is a glimpse:


I like it!
This picture shows the difference in the look of the blocks with red sashing vs white sashing (my bedspread).


Red Wins!
Do you remember the robots and owls from my first post?  They are in there. 


Not overly obvious from a distance.

Take a closer look


Owls and robots make me smile.

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to cut out the sashing and do some sewing today.  I have to admit that the fabric selection was a real challenge.  I decided not to worry too much about the different fabrics sitting next to each other.  I think I was able to make each block without repeating a fabric in any individual block.  The red is going to tie it all together.

2 comments:

  1. This is from your fellow sister. I cut out a bunch of diamonds and interspersed them with black on black fabric. Now I'm working on a strippy border. I need some remedial math, and some more experience with designing without a pattern. I think I'm going to win the award for most wasted fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb your quilt looks GREAT!!!! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Loading...