Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Sister Challenge Part 1

My sister, Carol, has a real eye for color.  Sometimes she mixes fabrics that one might not think would go together.  When the project is done, it is always eye-catching and always looks good.  So when she told me she was sending me 40 2 1/2" strips of mostly oriental fabrics for the Sister Challenge, I was excited.  Carol sent a set to our other sister, Janet, and kept a set for herself.  Here is the roll of fabric:


It looks beautiful, doesn't it.  My challenge is to pick a pattern and make a quilt.  Not too hard, you say?  Here is another view of the fabric:


Aha!  So pretty and so well coordinated!  Well, Carol likes a challenge.  I divided the fabrics into darks and lights.  Look what I found:

Cute Little Owls!
Well, they should blend right in.  But wait...here are the light fabrics: 

Robots!!!
Now this is getting interesting!  How will these look?  It is a good thing I follow Freddy Moran's advice which is basically, 10 fabrics are not enough, 100 looks just right. 

I have a dilemma.  The pattern I picked out uses 48 2 1/2 inch strips.  Should I add more from my own stash or pick another pattern?  I'm heading down to my craft room (currently a disaster area) to roll in my fabric and see what I can find.  I just got some Kawaii fabrics with dogs.  Should I toss them in?  Why not?  I already have owls and robots.  I'll let you know how the project progresses.


1 comment:

Search This Blog